A Fredonia Timeline

1826 The Fredonia Academy opens on October 4 with 15 students
1827 The academy enrolls 81 gentlemen and 55 ladies for the fall term.
1829 Fredonia is incorporated as a village.
1867 The academy closes and the Fredonia Normal School opens.
1868 The Fredonia Normal School officially enrolls students in primary, junior and academic departments.
1887 Music as a specialty area begins with the appointment of Miss Jessie Hillman to the Fredonia faculty
1900 A tragic fire on December 14 kills six students and a janitor, destroying most of the building.
1903 The new building, Old Main (now One Temple Square senior citizen housing), is completed.
1909 Fredonia is authorized to award teacher certificates in music and art.
1931 A four-year course in music is first offered.
1933 The state purchases property on Central Avenue to be used for future expansion.
1938 A four-year program in elementary education is offered.
1939 Construction begins at the new campus.
1941 Mason Hall is completed.
1942 First baccalaureate in elementary education awarded. Fredonia is now known as Fredonia State Teachers College.
1948 SUNY is created. Fredonia is now one of 11 colleges of education in the SUNY system.
1951 Gregory Hall, the first dormitory/student union building, is occupied.
1953 Fenton Hall is completed.
1958 Alumni Hall becomes the second dormitory building on campus.
1961 McGinnies dormitory and the first Mason Hall addition completed.
1962 I.M. Pei and Partners develops master plan for a new campus.
1963 Dods, Nixon, Chautauqua and Jewett halls are completed.
1968 Groundbreaking for Williams (Campus) Center.
1966-1976 The college experiences rapid growth in programs, academic departments, faculty and students.
1967-1971 Maytum Hall and Michael C. Rockefeller Arts Center constructed.
1973 Thompson Hall opens.
1976-1986 The college initiates programs in cooperative engineering, recombinant gene technology and sound recording technology.
1983 Steele Hall is completed.
1991 Reed Library addition completed.
1998 Enrollment now exceeds 4,500 students.
2001 Lake Shore Savings Clock Tower and Carillon dedicated. Swimming and diving complex completed.
2004 Juliet J. Rosch Recital Hall dedicated.
2006 University Commons completed and opened.
2007 New state-of-the-art sound recording studio and control room is dedicated. A new lighted soccer/lacrosse complex dedicated and opened as University Stadium.
2008 The Carnahan Jackson Center for Learning and Scholarship is dedicated. Ground breaking is held for the university’s Technology Incubator.
2009 The Fredonia Technology Incubator dedicated and opened on Central Avenue in Dunkirk, N.Y.
2010 Dedication of new Robert and Marilyn Maytum Music Rehearsal Halls.
2011 Groundbreaking is held for the university's new Science Center. Williams Center renovation begins.
2012 Williams Center and Maytum Hall renovations completed; construction continues on the new Science Center.
2013 New Blue Devil Fitness Center opens in Dods Hall. Ground broken for new University Village Townhouse complex. Construction continues on the new Science Center.
2014 Science Center and University Village Townhouse complex open. Ground broken for addition to the Michael C. Rockefeller Arts Center.
2015 Fredonia earns the Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
2016 Rockefeller Arts Center Studio Complex dedicated

Houghton Hall renovation initiated

2022 Dedication of the renovated Houghton Hall to complete the Fredonia Science Complex