First-Year Student Forgiveness

Who is this for?

  • For First-Year Students (not transfers) admitted Fall 2007 and later.

What does it do?

  • Allows up to 18 credits of "D" or "F" grades to be excluded from the GPA.  Students will lose credit when a "D" grade is forgiven, and those courses will not count for general education nor for any other degree requirements.

When do students apply?

  • A student applies for this option after changing or declaring their major and improving academically, but before the completion of 50 cumulative credit hours.
  • In most cases, approval will be for courses that were taken to satisfy program requirements that no longer apply, due to the change in major.
  • General education courses should be repeated rather than forgiven.

The application form for First-Year Student Forgiveness is available through the Registrar's web page, under "Academic Policies."