International Graduate Application Requirements

In addition to the general application requirements, international applicants are required to submit additional materials in order to complete immigration paperwork necessary to study in the United States.

International applicants must submit the following additional materials, available on the Graduate Studies website (

  • English Proficiency Test Score Report: International applicants are required to show proficiency in the English language sufficient enough to successfully participate in graduate study. Proof of proficiency may be shown by achieving the following test scores:
    • TOEFL: 79   IELTS: 6.5

      Fredonia's school code for reporting the TOEFL, TOEIC, and IELTS scores electronically is 2539.

  • FSA-4 form: Financial Statement: All international applicants must submit evidence of full financial support for all expenses at Fredonia as a condition of being issued immigration documents for F-1 or J-1 status (i.e., the Certificate of Eligibility, form I-20AB or IAP-66). The FSA-4 form must be signed by both the applicant and the applicant's financial sponsor. The submitted form must contain an original signature.
  • Proof of financial support: Applicants must submit an original bank statement from the financial sponsor verifying the available funds. Only original financial documentation with original signatures and seals will be accepted.

While an admission decision can be made without the financial documentation, the I-20 or DS-2019 forms cannot be issued until all documents are received.

Applicants must send the FSA-4 form and supporting documentation to the Assistant Director of International Student Services, S226A Williams Center, Fredonia, NY 14063 (or email to

Persons who have further questions about these requirements should contact the Assistant Director of International Student Services

  • Individual departments/programs may have additional admissions requirements that must be met. Students should check the Graduate Studies website, degree program pages in this online University Catalog, and/or departmental websites.