Other Sources of Aid

New York State has a variety of military scholarship available. For more information, please visit https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/military-corner.html#horizontalTab3.

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits

Those veterans or dependents who are, or feel they are, eligible for federal financial assistance through the Veterans Administration should contact the School Certifying Officer, Office of Financial Aid, 209 Maytum Hall, (716) 673-3253, or email veteran.affairs@fredonia.edu. Students are urged to begin their VA paperwork before the beginning of the school term in order to hasten processing. To further facilitate the start of benefits, the veteran, or the children, spouses, and/or survivors of veterans whose deaths or permanent total disabilities were service-connected, should present pertinent data, such as the service number, dates of service, discharging papers, and any other VA claim information.  Students must complete a VA Form 22-1990 at https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply and the Veterans Fact Sheet at https://sites.google.com/a/fredonia.edu/veteransfactsheet in order for VA benefits to be certified.

State Aid to Native Americans

Application Procedures

Application forms can be obtained from the Office of Native American Education, New York State Education Department, Room 475 EBA, Albany, NY 12234 or online at www.p12.nysed.gov/natamer/ call (518) 474-0537. Required application materials must be submitted to the above address before July 15 for the fall semester, Dec. 31 for the spring semester, and May 20 for the summer semester.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards

The applicant must be a New York State resident, and be on an official New York State tribal roll, or be the child of an enrolled member of a New York State tribe.

Responsibilities of Recipients

Students are required to:

  1. submit their grades at the end of each semester for which funding is received, indicating satisfactory progress toward degree or certificate requirements
  2. notify the Native American Education Unit, in writing, of any change in student status, change in program, or institutional enrollment.

Funding Procedure

Eligible students may receive grant awards of up to $2,000 per year for four years of full-time study (up to five years for approved five year programs). Part-time students will be funded on a pro-rated basis.

United States Department of Interior - Bureau of Indian Education (BIE)

Application Procedures

Application forms are available from the Education Office of the tribe in which you are affiliated or possess membership, and the Bureau of Indian Education. An application is required for each year of study. An official needs analysis is also required (obtained from your Education office of the tribe). This analysis is provided after the student completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Each first-time applicant must obtain tribal enrollment certification from the bureau agency which records enrollment for the tribe.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards

The applicant must:

  1. be a member of, or at least one-quarter degree Indian blood descendant of a member of an American Indian tribe which is eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States through the Bureau of Indian Education;
  2. be accepted for admission to a nationally accredited institution of higher learning which provides a course of study conferring an associate or bachelor’s degree; and
  3. demonstrate financial need.

Responsibilities of Recipients

For subsequent grants, the applicant must make satisfactory progress towards a degree and demonstrate financial need. Depending on the availability of funds, grants may also be made to graduate students and summer session students. Eligible married students may also receive living expenses for dependents.

For additional information about any aspect of expenses or financial aid, please refer to the Financial Literacy Guide.