Academic Bankruptcy

This option is intended for the student who normally maintains satisfactory academic standards, but whose grades suffer for one semester due to unusual or unfortunate circumstances. To apply for this option, the student must be in good academic standing (excluding the semester for which bankruptcy is sought) and must have reestablished the pattern of satisfactory academic progress that existed prior to the semester for which bankruptcy is sought. If the petition to bankrupt a semester is granted, the student’s grades for the chosen semester will be preceded by a “Y” for grades of C- or better, and by a “Z” for D+ through F grades. The student's grades for that semester will be excluded when calculating the student's GPA, but the student will receive credit only for those courses in which the student earned a grade of C- or above (including S grades). This policy may be applied only to one semester of work completed at the university. The application form to apply for academic bankruptcy is available on the Registrar's web page, under "Academic Policies."