Statute of Limitations Policy

No course taken more than 7 years prior to application for a current master’s degree program will be considered for credit toward the new degree.

Departments are responsible for scrutinizing past graduate credit earned at SUNY Fredonia to determine the appropriateness of transferring such credit toward a current graduate degree. Any coursework for which the student earned a grade lower than ‘B’ will not be accepted. Other credit will be accepted at the discretion of the student’s department.

The student must fill out a Transcript Evaluation Request form, available on the Graduate Studies website. The student’s degree program department chair will sign the form and forward it to the dean of the College of Education (or other appropriate dean), and then the Graduate Studies Office will sign and forward the original to the Registrar’s Office. A copy of the fully signed form will be sent back to the department.

The department may consult with the Graduate Studies Office if they wish to include credit older than 7 years.