History of the State University of New York at Fredonia
SUNY Fredonia joined the newly-formed State University of New York System in 1948 as one of the 11 teacher’s colleges within the university and in 1961 became the State University of New York College at Fredonia with an expanded mission. Its history dates back to its roots as the Fredonia Academy, established in 1826 by the citizens of Fredonia. In 1867 it was named one of the new State Normal Schools.
The 256-acre campus of SUNY Fredonia is striking in its beauty. A traditional brick perimeter encloses a modern sculptured core. Well-kept lawns and wooded areas enhance the beauty of the campus. Facilities on the university campus reflect its diversity and reputation for excellence.
There are 14 residence halls on the SUNY Fredonia campus, including high quality corridor, suite-style and independent living, as well as kitchen suites in some halls. In addition, several lifestyle options are available including residence halls with a Wellness Center, an Aerobics Center, and a Crafts Room. There is high speed Internet access in every room and all residence halls have electronic entry access for added safety and security. Hendrix Hall is also the site of the student-operated television station, WNYF-TV. Residence life offers the added advantage of activities planned by students. A new townhouse facility is slated to open in Fall 2014.
Cranston Marché is the main dining facility, supplemented by the Williams Center food services including the Tim Hortons Café & Bake Shop, Centre Pointe lounge and cafes in selected buildings including FREDExpress. University Commons combines Cranston Marché with a residence hall, bookstore, Starbucks coffee shop, and convenience store. Gregory Hall, the first residence hall on the present campus, was named in honor of former university president Dr. Leslie R. Gregory, and also is the home of the Office of Residence Life, the Faculty Student Association, Career Development Office and University Police.
The Williams Center, a circular building appropriately situated at the center of campus which underwent a major renovation during the 2011-2012 academic year, houses the offices of Campus Life, Volunteer and Community Services, the Student Association, and several major student organizations including the student newspaper, The Leader. It also contains a variety of dining options, meeting, activity and recreation spaces, and the SUNY Fredonia Ticket Office. Dods Hall, one of two athletic facilities, contains classrooms, gymnasia, the new Blue Devil Fitness Center, a newly-renovated dance studio and racquetball courts. Outside are lighted tennis and basketball courts. Adjacent to Dods is Steele Hall, which contains an indoor ice skating rink, track/basketball arena, and the university’s natatorium/swimming and diving facility. A new soccer/lacrosse stadium with both natural and artificial turf fields opened in 2007.
Enhancing student and community life is the Michael C. Rockefeller Arts Center, a magnificent performing and visual arts facility. In addition to classrooms, the facility contains the 1,200-seat King Concert Hall, the 400-seat Marvel Theatre, Bartlett Theatre, and two art galleries. Construction will begin on a 40,000-square-foot addition to the arts center in 2014. Rockefeller is also the home to the departments of Theatre and Dance, and Visual Arts and New Media, which along with the School of Music are included in Fredonia's new College of Visual and Performing Arts.
LoGrasso Hall is the home of the Student Health Center, the Counseling Center, and the Office of International Education. McEwen Hall includes lecture halls, classrooms, a television studio and Fredonia Radio Systems. Reed Library, named in honor of Daniel A. Reed of Sheridan, plays a key role in the teaching and learning process as students and faculty make heavy use of the 18 million volumes that comprise the holdings of the SUNY libraries. Thousands of periodical titles are available online along with extensive collections of microforms and DVDs. The Music Collection houses thousands of sound recordings, musical scores and performance parts as well as access to streaming music collections. Archives and Special Collections contain extensive holdings, including the university archives, local histories, records of the Holland Land Company, books and manuscripts of the noted Austrian author Stefan Zweig, the Sigurd Rascher Saxophone Collection, and the archives of the Coalition on West Valley Nuclear Wastes. Online resources and reference help is available 24x7. Reed Library is also the home of the Carnahan-Jackson Center for Learning and Scholarship, the Learning Center, the Office of Disability Support Services for Students, Academic Advising, the Professional Development Center, the Office of Online Learning and the Registrar's Office. With seating for 500-plus in many different areas, there is always a place to study in Reed Library.
The newly-renovated Maytum Hall is the home of administrative and business offices as well as Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Financial Aid, Administration including Student Accounts, and Administrative Information Technology (AIT).
Fenton Hall, named in honor of Reuben Fenton, governor of New York State from 1865 to 1868, former congressman and U.S. Senator, who attended the Fredonia Academy, is the main humanities, and mathematics and computer science office and classroom building. The University President’s office is located in this building as well as the offices of Lifelong Learning, and Graduate Studies and Research. Jewett Hall and Houghton Hall are the natural and physical sciences buildings containing classrooms and laboratories, and offices for the departments of Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Geosciences and Physics. A new $60 million Science Center, which connects to Houghton Hall, will open in 2014, to be followed by renovation of Houghton Hall. Thompson Hall was opened in the summer of 1973. In addition to the social science departments, the College of Education, the School of Business, the Office of Sponsored Programs, the Henry C. Youngerman Center for Communication Disorders and the Media Center are all housed in this building.
Mason Hall, home of Fredonia’s School of Music, is named for organist, composer and teacher Lowell Mason, called the “Father of Public School Music in America.” Its 500-seat Juliet J. Rosch Recital Hall opened in 2004, named after the 1930 alumna. The beautiful new Robert and Marilyn Maytum Music Rehearsal Halls were dedicated in October 2010.
Foundation House, located on Central Avenue near the entrance to the university, is the home of University Advancement, the Fredonia College Foundation and the Office of Public Relations. Alumni House, located at te Central Avenue entrance to the university, is the home of the Alumni Affairs Office and the Fredonia Alumni Association.
Located about 12 miles from the campus, the Herbert C. Mackie Memorial Camp provides opportunities for year-round educational and recreational activities. A sleeping lodge was completed in 1989.
A formal groundbreaking for a permanent building in the nearby City of Dunkirk to house SUNY Fredonia’s Technology Incubator was held in Fall 2008 and the completed building was dedicated in December 2009.
Hours when academic buildings are open are published separately.